6 Website Redesign SEO Secrets Your Developer May Not Know
If you’re redesigning a web site that has decent visibility in the search engines, you’re at risk of de-optimizing it and seeing some of your rankings drop or even disappear. We’ve seen some businesses get their web sites redesigned without consideration of SEO and end up with a site that could never be found in the search engines. About the worst case scenario is having your new design be an all-flash website.
Here are six issues you and your web designer need to keep in mind when redesigning your web site to preserve your rankings.
- Make sure you have search engine friendly site architecture
- Avoid duplicate content on eCommerce sites
- Properly redirect any renamed pages
- Search engine friendly navigation menus – avoid DHTML and Flash navigation
- Retain the ability to specify headers, titles, URLs, alt attributes and meta tags
- Be careful with session IDs – feed only clean URLs to the search engines
You’ll want to know more about each of these. You’ll find a terrific discussion of them all here, along with some specific recommendations..