Best Practices for URL Structure
Your URL structure is important. Here are a few pointers, courtesy of Ann Smarty at the Search Engine Journal:
- Short URLs within Google SERPs get clicked twice as often as long ones.
- Dashes are better than underscores since dashes are interpreted as spaces, while underscores are ignored, resulting in what appear to the search engines as long, run-on words.
- Unlike a domain name, URL is case sensitive, so if you have capital letters in your page filenames or folders, people may have trouble finding them if they type in your URL.
- Make all redirects 301 permanent redirects.
- Watch your page filename extensions.